We are combining Historicals, Wuxias, and Xian Xias all under Ancient dramas since they all take place in “ancient times”. Please share your favorite ones.
If you are an admin, please edit the post and add yours ^^
There is no particular order to my list, but Nirvana in Fire is the best one for me. It is not my favorite in terms of enjoyment, but it had the best overall quality and plot. Some of these dramas I enjoyed more than others and some are far better than the rest, but they are all worth watching. I was obsessed with all these dramas and they kept my attention until the very end.
Nirvana in Fire (2015)
Interesting story and characters that will keep you engaged throughout the show. It also has one of the best cinematographies of recent years. Mei Changsu drives this drama.
Scarlet Heart/ Bu Bu Jing Xin (2011)
One of those dramas that you will never forget. Everything was just so well done. I was on team 4th prince all the way. I don’t know why but since the first episode.
Journey of Flower (2015)
Out of all the dramas on my list, this one made me care the most about its characters. It was an emotional rollercoaster, but I appreciated its ability to emotionally engage the audience. I wish regulation didn’t remove so many scenes, but otherwise I truly enjoyed it. Not my favorite character, but the most interesting character for me is Bai ZiHua. Now my favorite one would be Sha Qian Mo, he deserved so much better.
Female Prime Minister/ Legend of Lu Zhen (2013)
It lost itself a little towards the end, but I still really liked it. The most interesting character goes to fiercely independent LuZhen. Her character was really well done, she wanted vengage and she used her brains to get into a position to do it.
Eternal Love/ Three Lives Three Worlds Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms (2017)
The happiest out of all the dramas on this list. It had a lot of swoon worthy moments and Yehua needs no explanation. Besides him, I was really impressed with Yan Zhi.
Wow. Picking a favorite drama is hard for me just because I can’t really recall half of the dramas I watched unless there’s a list. Lol. From the top of my head, I can only name two that I had watched and rewatched just because I like it that much (Nirvana in the Fire and BuBu Jingxin). My list really coincide with Fireflymaoh so no pictures and just a list. =D
- Nirvana in the Fire: Beside Mei Changsu, Princess NiHuang is my next fave. She’s the strong independent character that I always like in dramas.
- Bu Bu Jing Xin: 13th Prince is by far my favorite! He’s just likeable with his free-going personality and modern mindset in a historical time period.
- 3 Lives 3 Worlds Peach Blossom (Eternal Love): Of course the leads (Bai Qian and Ye Hua) but beside them I thought the most interesting was Chen Yu (the 3rd Prince’s lover). She’s childish for her age and hilarious in the drama.
Those are the more recent faves of mine but if we were to go back to the 1990s…the list goes on! And of course most of them are the Wuxia classics from TVB.
- Return of the Condor Heroes 1995 TVB version with Louis Koo and Carman Lee. I enjoyed this version so much that I watched it like 3/4 times! I think Carman Lee will forever remains the Xiao Long Nv image for me. The most memorable character for me was the youngest daughter of Guo Jin who showed up for the last ep only.
- Legend of the Condor Heroes 1994 TVB version with Chi Lam and Athena Chu. Huang Rong is a difficult character to portray with that witty arrogant image but I was well convinced with Athena’s version. Huang Rong is my favorite character.
- Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils 1997 TVB version with Felix Wong. What can I say…this version is such a classic! I still listen to the song all the time.
- The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber 2000 TVB version with Lawrence Ng and Gigi Lai. Zhao Ming and her sassy arrogant attitude was fun to watch.
- My Fair Princess aka Pearl Princess Return (only season 1 and 2). Fun fun drama to watch with amazing OSTs. Love all the characters (Yes even Rong Mo Mo) but Xiao Yanzi is my favorite. She gets annoying sometime with all the trouble that she causes but that’s also why she’s so much fun to watch.
So which are your favorite ancient dramas?