Up to ep31 and am still hooked enough to try and watch 2 episodes a day 🙂 Trying hard not to have spoilers in this post so will just note some observations below!
1. Why is Luo Jin not more famous? He looks uber good here and his cheeky smile is the icing on the cake ! Tuoba Jun is a well written character – I had some concerns that he would just be a lovesick prince but fortunately the scriptwriter decided to give him more gumption. 🙂 Luo Jin managed to convey Tuoba Jin’s idealism and warmheartedness without being a wuss or overly self righteous and I must say that he makes small eyes look so good!
2. Rachel Mao is doing so well here too – sure there maybe room for improvement but I like that she doesn’t over exaggerate her “evil” smirk or glint while intricately plotting her next move – I like that Li Chang Ru is also unapologetically oblivious for her flaws; while she may think that she only attacks when threatened, her actions have proven otherwise and that she is a level headed cold hearted one who would stop at nothing to ensure she gets what she wants. Would be nice if there is more backstory as to why she loves Tuoba Yu so much as otherwise would need to add stalker-ish to that list!
3. First time watching Vaness Wu and initially I didn’t think he was very suitable for period dramas. It’s getting better now that he has more to do in the last few episodes but would just rate him okay – can’t understand how Tuoba Han didn’t see his conniving face whenever he speaks to him!
4. Of the main cast, would say that Li Xin’Ai is the weakest. Not sure why she thinks widening of eyes is meant to emote evil, anger, fear or sadness …. Li Chang Le is not a rootable character but in the hands of a more capable actress (someone like Yang Rong perhaps ) she maybe pitiable or understandable.
5. Am also liking the newbies Nan Fu Long (Li Min Feng) and Chen Yu Qi (Tuoba Di) – love Min Feng’s interactions with both Wei Young and Tuoba Di and Tuoba Di is spunky without being annoying.
And what about the titular character? I like Wei Young a lot so it helps even if I am still not a big fan of Tang Yan. She is best in scenes with Luo Jin and her entourage and where she is required to be kind and merciful. It’s the scenes where she is supposed to be the great brains / planner that falls a bit short as she has that damsel-in-distress vibe even when she is not.
Princess Wei Young to me is a well plotted (if you didn’t read the book) and well paced drama with characters that make sense (so far) and a workable ensemble cast. Please don’t delve into melodrama in the upcoming episodes as I sense that more drama is looming!